Insure My Food Trailer is the market leader in gourmet food trailer insurance brought to you by the leader in gourmet food truck insurance 


We understand mobile food vendors and speak your language. Established in 2011, we started with the sole purpose to help protect food trucks, food trailers and mobile food vendors with what we feel is the most comprehensive program with the best pricing. Since then, we have assisted thousands of mobile food vendors in most states. 

The best mobile food vendors deserve the best in coverage and price. Join us and experience why so many mobile food vendors choose Insure My Food Trailer & Insure My Food Truck!




Food Trailer Insurance Basics

You are experts in street food, no doubt about that. You probably don't like to think about insurance, read about it and definitely don't like paying for it. However, food trailer operators need insurance to not only protect your organizers and your venues, but to protect yourselves. Spend a few minutes with me below to go over the basics of food trailer insurance. 

Auto Liability

You drive a truck that pulls a heavy trailer containing propane tanks, gasoline, oils and other flammables. You are essentially a 65 mile per hour street food slinging missile. The amount of damage an accident can cause can easily be over the standard 1 million dollars you carry. Do not carry less than this! The savings is nominal to drop to $500,000 or less. You should carry commercial auto insurance since many personal auto carriers will not cover accidents involving towing a trailer used for business.

Auto Physical Damage

Your trailer cost say $25,000 to replace, you need collision and comprehensive coverage to protect it if you are at fault in an accident, if it catches fire, is stolen, vandalized, or many other losses similar to your personal auto policy. Don't get me started on your wrap... see my previous post on that.

General Liability

"The Tainted Taco." This will cover bodily injury and property damage that are not auto related. The biggest exposures would be food related claims such as food sickness, food allergies and slip and fall related claims. The General Liability also picks up personal and advertising injury. Most venues will require at least 1 million per occurrence and 2 million aggregate. This means 1 million per loss and no more that 2 million total coverage for the policy term. This is necessary coverage that is inexpensive to add.

Property Coverage

You invested what, $15,000 up to $50,000 or more into your trailer and have maybe $10,000 in equipment floating around back there? You need property coverage to protect your stash. An auto policy covers the truck, and typically nothing more. Adding in-depth property coverage to protect your modifications, equipment, mechanical breakdown and loss of business income is affordable and adds piece of mind. This is a complicated subject that requires more attention. If you want to be an honor student read some previous posts, this is 101.

Workers' Compensation

Did you know that it is the law to provide workers' compensation to all employees in the state of California (many other states as well)? I know, your cousin likes cooking and isn't really an employee... Wrong, do not get caught without workers' compensation! It's not as expensive as you may think and saves thousands in fines, out of pocket losses and those fun attorney fees.

Liability Umbrella

Many venues will require more than 1 million dollars in general liability. An umbrella policy is just what it sounds like. It bumps your general liability, auto liability and workers' compensation to 2 million, 3 million or more depending on the limit chosen. If you are in a major metro area chances are you will be asked for higher than 1 million limits. It's worth the $400 or so to add, DO IT!